Book Summary:
A collection of poems aimed at elementary level students. The first half of the book includes poems of apology written from the perspective of a student. The second half of the book are the responses to the apologies written as poems.
APA Reference of Book:
Sidman, J.,
& Zagarenski, P. (2007). This is just to say: Poems of apology and
forgiveness. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.Impressions:
I liked the concept of having poems of apology together with the responses. They are light hearted and enjoyable to read, and they make a good collection to introduce young children to poetry.
Professional Review:
Gr 4-7 --Mrs. Merz assigns her sixth-grade students to write poems of
apology, and what emerges is a surprising array of emotions, poetic forms, and
subjects from dead pets and biting hamsters to angry siblings and betrayal of
trust. The children decide to create their own book of these poems, complete
with an introduction and occasional notes by editor Anthony K. Fast-talking
Thomas writes a humorous poem patterned after William Carlos Williams's
"This Is Just to Say," apologizing to Mrs. Garcia in the office, for
stealing the jelly donuts in the teachers' lounge: "Forgive me/they were
delicious/so sweet/and so gloppy." Mrs. Garcia's response poem says,
"Of course I forgive you./But I still have to call your mother." A
more serious concern emerges in "Next Time," written by Jewel:
"Please, please come back./Don't leave me spinning alone,/like a slow, sad
tornado./I'm sorry, Daddy./Next time I'll be/perfect." In the response
poem, Jewel describes her father's wrenching reply telling her that, "None
of the stupid things/I have ever done/are even close to being your fault."
Sidman's ear is keen, capturing many voices. Her skill as a poet accessible to
young people is unmatched. Zagarenski's delicately outlined collage drawings
and paintings are created on mixed backgrounds-notebook paper, paper bags,
newspaper, graph paper, school supplies. This is an important book both for its
creativity and for its wisdom.
Bock, L.
(2007, May 1). [Review of the book This is just
to say: Poems of apology and forgiveness, by Joyce Sidman]. School Library Journal, 53(5), 162. Retrieved from www.slj.com.
A poetry lesson could be done using this book to introduce young elementary students to poetry. Afterwards as an activity the students can write their own poem of apology and then have a discussion at the end of the lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment